New England Malayalee Association
DRISHYA® 2017 – Annual Talent Show and Competitions
Classical Singing Competition Classifications and Rules
Categories (Solo Classical)
1. Adult (18 years or older)
2. Youth (14 to 17 years)
3. Junior (11 years to 13 years)
4. Sub-Junior (8 years to 10 years)
5. Kinder (5 years to 7 years)
The performance must be between 5 to 10 minutes in all categories. This could be either Carnatic or Hindustani classical.
- An individual may only perform once in a single competitive category.
- A shruti box or rhythm box ( an app for the same purpose) should be used for classical segment. Participant should be solely responsible for operating it. Outside support once the performance started will disqualify the item.
- Participants must be within the age range as of January 1, 2017.
- Any segment with no more than one entry will be cancelled. The participant can opt to compete in a higher age category if possible.
- If there are too many entries in any category NEMA reserves the right to conduct a semi-final round.
- NEMA reserves the right to request proof of age, to verify the age of the participant if needed.
- The participant should be singing minimum of kriti.
- No prompting/coaching is allowed from the audience to the participant. The participant will be promptly disqualified if it comes to notice.
- Participants will not be allowed to carry or use written lyrics or any supporting devices that would assist him/her perform better on stage. Violating this could result in disqualification.
- Participants are allowed only the introduction of the song, nothing else. Violating this could result in disqualification.
- A buzzer will sound at the time limit and a contestant who continues the song more than 15 seconds after that will be disqualified from the competition.
- NEMA won’t be providing any instrumental support for the singers.
- Judges decisions are final. Participants are not to contact the judges to get the feedback on the performances.
The scoring is as follows:
|Keeping the Pitch (Sruthi)||30 pts|
|Singing with rhythm||30 pts|
Definitions of Judging Format
- Keeping the Pitch (Sruthi)(30% of total score)
- Points given based on ability to maintain correct pitch (sruthi)
- Singing with rhythm (30% of Total Score)
- Points given based on the Participant’s ability to maintain rhythm throughout the song.
- Presentation (30% of Total Score)
- Pronunciation of words (Diction)
- Quality of improvisation(aalapan)
- Recovery from mistakes
- Projection to audience; feeling/look of enjoyment
- Total stage presence
- Gamakas/ Sangathis/Bikraas (10% of total score)
If the participant is not ready to perform when his/her number is called, a penalty of 5 points will be applied to the cumulative score.
The winners are chosen as follows:
- If only one participant is registered for a category, no competition will be held and they can choose to compete in a higher age category.
- For a category with two or more participants, a first place winner is declared.
- For a category with three or more participants, a first place and second place winners are declared.
- For a category with five or more participants, a first place, second place and third place winners are declared.
**Judges decisions are final**
Winners: First prize winners from each segment will be given opportunity to perform during Drishya Finale.
Participant Certificates will be awarded to all participants on the day of the event.
Trophies/Medals and winner certificates will be awarded to all winners on the day of the event
Questions and concerns: email@example.com