New England Malayalee Association
DRISHYA® 2018 – Annual Talent Show and Competitions
Group Non-Classical Dance Competition Classifications and Rules
A group performance should have at least 4 participants.
Categories(Group Non-Classical Dance)
- Adult (18 years or older)
- Youth (14 to 17 years)
- Junior (11 years to 13 years)
- Sub-Junior (8 years to 10 years)
- Kinder (5 years to 7 years)
A group with a mixed age of contestants that prevent them from falling into a particular category will be placed in the category of the highest aged participant in the group.
The performance must be between 3 to 5 minutes for all categories
The performance can be in any non-classical genre (folk, cinematic, fusion etc.)
- An individual may only perform once in this category. The entries will be disqualified if one individual is found to be participating in more than one entry of non- classical group dance across any age groups.
- Individuals may perform in one classical group and one non-classical group and one solo competitive entry.
- Groups should be comprised of 4 members or more.
- Not anywhere in the audio of the song or announcement, the names of the participants or choreographer should be mentioned.
- Participants must be within the age range as of January 1, 2018.
- Any segment with no more than one entry will be cancelled. The participants can opt to compete in a higher age category if possible.
- If there are too many entries in any category NEMA reserves the right to conduct a semi-final round.
- NEMA reserves the right to request proof of age, to verify the age of the participant if needed.
- No prompting/coaching from outside of the stage is allowed. The item will be immediately disqualified if it comes to notice.
- The song should be sent to email@example.com in mp3 format when requested. This will be strictly enforced and failing to do so will disqualify the item.
- It is the sole responsibility of the team leader/choreographer to make sure that all participants in his/her team are aware and abide by the rules. If any participant is found violating the rules, the whole team that he/she belongs to, will be penalized.
- Any song exceeding the maximum allowed time will be shortened to the maximum time.
- No confetti, smoke machines, fire and water should be used on stage as part of performance
- Only battery operated lights can be used to enhance the props and performance.
- No alta is allowed in the auditorium or green room premises. Please apply if needed from home.
- Judges decisions are final. Participants are not to contact the judges to get the feedback on the performances.
- Appropriate Usage of Props : As a guidance to the usage of props, please note that props that are effectively used as part of the dance only will gain points. Ambiance creating or decorative props will not be counted towards judging.
Note: Additions to teams cannot be made once registration closes for the competition.
The scoring is as follows:
Definitions of Judging Format
- Choreography – (30 % of total score)
- Complexity of steps, uniqueness of sequence for the item chosen etc..
- Coordination/ Synchronization : (15 % of total score)
- Group direction: Well-rehearsed; disciplined
- Coordination and synchronization between dancers
- Balance (equal or near-equal age/ability of the dancers)
- Performance – (40 % of total score)
- Stage coverage/Orientation
- Precision to the music beats
- Synergy between music, dance and dancers
- Recovery from mistakes
- Expression, Grace, Energy, Presence
- Appropriate use of props : As a guidance to the usage of props, please note that props that are effectively used as part of the dance only will gain points. Ambiance creating or decorative props will not be counted towards judging.
- Costume, accessories, makeup – (15 % of total score)
- Appropriateness to dance style
- Makeup and head-dressing
If the participant is not ready to perform when his/her number is called, a penalty of 5 points will be subtracted from the score.
The winners are chosen as follows:
- If only one participant is registered for a category, no competition will be held and they can choose to compete in a higher age category.
- For a category with two or more participants, a first place winner is declared.
- For a category with three or more participants, a first place and second place winners are declared.
- For a category with four or more participants, a first place, second place and third place winners are declared.
**Judges decision is final**
Participant Certificates will be awarded to all participants on the day of the event.
Trophies/Medals and winner certificates will be awarded to all winners on the day of the event
Questions and concerns: firstname.lastname@example.org