New England Malayalee Association
DRISHYA® 2019 – Annual Talent Show and Competitions
Classical Singing Competition Classifications and Rules
Categories (Solo Classical)
- Adult (18 years or older)
- Youth (14 to 17 years)
- Junior (11 years to 13 years)
- Sub-Junior (8 years to 10 years)
- Kinder (5 years to 7 years)
The performance must be between 4 to 8 minutes in all categories. This could be either Carnatic or Hindustani classical.
- An individual may only perform once in a single competitive category.
- A shruti box or rhythm box ( or an app for the same purpose) should be used for classical segment. Participant should be solely responsible for operating it. Outside support once the performance started will disqualify the item.
- No instruments other than shruthi box/app is to be used.
- Participants must be within the age range as of January 1, 2019.
- Any segment with only one entry will be cancelled. The participant can opt to compete in a higher age category if possible.
- If there are too many entries in any category NEMA reserves the right to conduct a semi-final round.
- NEMA reserves the right to request proof of age, to verify the age of the participant if needed.
- The participant should be singing minimum of kriti.
- No prompting/coaching is allowed from the audience to the participant. The participant will be promptly disqualified if it comes to notice.
- Participants will not be allowed to carry or use written lyrics or any supporting devices that would assist him/her perform better on stage. Violating this could result in disqualification.
- Participants are allowed only the introduction of the song, nothing else. Violating this could result in disqualification.
- A buzzer will sound at the time limit and a contestant who continues the song more than 15 seconds after that will be disqualified from the competition.
- NEMA won’t be providing any instrumental support for the singers.
- Judges decisions are final. Participants are not to contact the judges to get the feedback on the performances.
The scoring is as follows:
|Keeping the Pitch (Sruthi)||30 pts|
|Singing with rhythm||30 pts|
Definitions of Judging Format
- Keeping the Pitch (Sruthi)(30% of total score)
- Points given based on ability to maintain correct pitch (sruthi)
- Singing with rhythm (30% of Total Score)
- Points given based on the Participant’s ability to maintain rhythm throughout the song.
- Presentation (30% of Total Score)
- Pronunciation of words (Diction)
- Quality of improvisation(aalapan)
- Recovery from mistakes
- Projection to audience; feeling/look of enjoyment
- Total stage presence
- Gamakas/ Sangathis/Bikraas (10% of total score)
If the participant is not ready to perform when his/her number is called, a penalty of 5 points will be applied to the cumulative score.
The winners are chosen as follows:
- If only one participant is registered for a category, no competition will be held and they can choose to compete in a higher age category.
- For a category with two or more participants, a first place winner is declared.
- For a category with three or more participants, a first place and second place winners are declared.
- For a category with four or more participants, a first place, second place and third place winners are declared.
**Judges decisions are final**
Participant Certificates will be awarded to all participants on the day of the event.
Trophies/Medals and winner certificates will be awarded to all winners on the day of the event
Questions and concerns: email@example.com